Insightful Minds

Get financial support to work with me and if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability.

I’ve used the Access to Work funding myself to support me back to work after I had my bad accident in 1996. I received a grant to upgrade my car to be an automatic and also received a specialist back chair so that I was comfortable when working as I had chronic pain syndrome.

More recently, I’ve received a grant for coaching for my dyscalculia (the reason I found myself in debt/money issues) as I have had challenges and get stressed around numbers when at work and within my business.

I’ve now realised that my clients can apply for this funding to work with me around their confidence and mental health as well as physical disability and I’m encouraging them to apply for Access to Work if they are eligible.

If you are feeling a little demotivated or stuck because of your disability or ill health, take a look at the top tips to become more empowered.

Information has been sourced from this page from website and is credited to them.

If you are awarded a grant for coaching for your neurodiversity (ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Autism)/disability to work on workplace coping strategies or need interim support whilst you find a support worker, I may be able to help you. I can also support you to complete the application if you need it as confidence can be an issue or knowing how to word things. Email me at to arrange a free chat.

Fee to help you submit your Access to Work form with you: £75 for 1.5 hours. Hourly Workplace Strategy Coaching sessions are: £200 per hour including the admin surrounding your support claims.

These coaching sessions are a combination of advanced therapy and coaching techniques, to empower you with more confidence and to help you cope better in your workplace/business.

What is Access to Work?

It is a Government scheme to help you get or stay in work if you have a physical or mental health condition or disability. It is a best kept secret and I want more people to know about the support they can be receiving.

The support you get will depend on your needs. Through Access to Work, you can apply for:

  • a grant to help pay for practical support with your work
  • support with managing your mental health at work
  • money to pay for communication support at job interviews

Your condition

To receive support from Access to Work you must have a disability or health condition that means you need an aid, adaptation or financial or human support to do a job. For example, special computer equipment or travel costs because you can’t use public transport.

Your mental health condition must affect your ability to do a job. It must also mean you need support to:

  • start a new job
  • reduce absence from work
  • stay in work

Practical support with your work

Access to Work could give you a grant to help pay for things like:

  • specialist equipment and assistive software
  • support workers, like a BSL interpreter, a job coach or a travel buddy
  • costs of travelling to work, if you cannot use public transport
  • adaptations to your vehicle so you can get to work
  • physical changes to your workplace

Your workplace can include your home if you work from there some or all of the time.

It does not matter how much you earn. If you get an Access to Work grant, it will not affect any other benefits you get and you will not have to pay it back.

You or your employer may need to pay some costs up front and claim them back later. If you are self employed there is some criteria you must meet.

Mental health support

You can get support to manage your mental health at work, which might include:

  • a tailored plan to help you get or stay in work
  • one-to-one sessions with a mental health professional

Communication support for job interviews

Access to Work can help pay for communication support at a job interview if:

  • you’re deaf or hard of hearing and need a BSL interpreter or lipspeaker
  • you have a physical or mental health condition or learning difficulty and need communication support

Find out more and apply for communication support at a job interview.

What Access to Work will not pay for

Access to Work will not pay for reasonable adjustments. These are the changes your employer must legally make to support you to do your job.

Access to Work will advise your employer if changes should be made as reasonable adjustments.

Employment Status

You need to be employed to use the Access to work scheme either with an employer or self-employment. Your work can either be full or part time.

For Access to Work purposes, self-employment is:

  • operating a business either on your own account or in partnership, or working for an employer on a self-employed basis
  • operating a franchised business on a self-employed basis
  • possessing a Unique Tax Reference (UTR) number

You can apply for Access to Work support if you are over retirement age (and now do not have to pay National Insurance) but you will need to have accounts for established businesses or a business plan of a standard acceptable to a bank or other financial institution, for example for new businesses.

In the case of self-employed applicants such as entertainers who do not necessarily see themselves as being a business, then a UTR and CV would be appropriate. This will help your case manager in determining whether the business is, or is likely to become, a viable business and therefore eligible for Access to Work support.

Access to Work cannot pay for the costs of setting up a business or cover costs while the business is being formed, this includes, but is not limited to:

  • standard items of equipment
  • support for fact-finding
  • attending courses, seminars or similar events

Company directors

If you are a company director, you can apply to get Access to Work support. However, you must prove that your company is registered with Companies House in Cardiff.

What you will get

There is no set amount for an Access to Work grant. How much you get depends on your specific case. The grant will only cover the support needed to let you stay in work or self-employed.

The money can pay for things like:

  • changes to the equipment you use
  • special equipment
  • fares to work if you cannot use public transport
  • a support worker or job coach to help you in your workplace
  • a support service if you have a mental health condition and you are absent from work or finding it difficult to work
  • disability awareness training for your colleagues
  • someone to help you at a job interview
  • the cost of moving your equipment if you change location or job

Maximum amount of grants

The maximum grant available for support is £66000.


You might not get Access to Work if you get any of these benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Income Support
  • National Insurance credits

However, you may get it for a limited time if you are doing certain types of ‘permitted work’ to help you move off benefits completely.

If you are awarded a grant for coaching for your neurodiversity/disability or need interim support whilst you find a support worker, I may be able to help you. I can also support you to complete the application if you need it. Email me at to arrange a free chat.

For more information and to apply for Access to Work, go to: Access to Work: get support if you have a disability or health condition: What Access to Work is – GOV.UK (